Friday, November 10, 2006

How Much Wood Could A Wood Chuck Chuck?

I have a great chuck, a One Way, and use it for a fair amount of turning. But as I was reading on one of the forums about concerns over a new comer buying one (brand, price, jaw sets, etc) I began to wonder if we are missing something. Four jaw scroll chucks are relatively new to the wood turning scene. Do newcomers really need them? Do pros? They carry a fairly hefty price tag because of the quality and can cost more than some first time lathes. For instance, I do not use a chuck for turning bowls and platters. Lately I have been using large jaws to finish bottoms, but it is not really needed. What are others using?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To finish the bottom of a bowl, I'll jam it into a faceplate covered with a thick piece of scrounged foam using a stub tenon left on the bottom for this purpose. As a last step, turn the stub to a nub, remove from the lathe and sand into oblivion.

I also turn on faceplates, between centers or using a "utility" 4-jaw scroll chuck I picked up new for about $50 last year. I get a LOT of use from that chuck and am looking to buy a couple more. While I've never had the privelege of using a fancier chuck, I don't see how they could do any better job of workholding than my $50 chuck.

I usually use a 2 3/8" Forstner bit to get things rolling. The last step on the bottom is to turn a dovetail recess and then flip it in the chuck.

My two cents worth ... the method I use is controlled more by what equipment is available at the moment than any other factor.